Sunday, February 20, 2011

Operation Remember How to Ski

We went.  We saw.  We skied.

I got bruised and the snow started to melt.  We went home.

Friday was our experimental day of skiing in preparation for our trip to Alaska.  Not experimental skiing, but a skiing experiment.  It had been 10 years since I had been on the slopes and a few years for S so we thought we should probably work on our skills before we embark on the wilds of Alaska.

We drove up to North Carolina.  Yes, there is skiing in North Carolina.  Prior to Friday we had both only skied in Colorado so it was a bit of a surprise to drive up to the "resort" and see this:


And then on the ski lift you gaze upon this:


Uh, where's the snow?  

Oh, there it is.


So it wasn't exactly a winter wonderland.  It was also in the 50s and 60s.  They did have actual snow on the slopes, manufactured just for us!  And it wasn't too bad until about noon when it started warming up and more folks arrived, then it got a little too slushy.

Good news: We remember how to ski!  Yay!  I'm not saying I'm awesome, but I am saying that there were two falls that day and neither was me. 

 
Bad news: my boots badly bruised my shins.  Except without any visible sign of bruising, just intense pain.  I felt like a beast skiing with my shin injury.  I'm basically Lindsey Vonn.  Unfortunately it ended up cutting my day a little short.

And the final good news: I got to use my give away bag!  It is very, very yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment