Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One more Anglophile post, I promise

I'm not sure how I got to be so Britain-centric.  It's all a coincidence, I promise.

I have two books to recommend.  I loved them both.  Both set in Britain but very different


Major Pettigrew's Last Stand is delightful and quaint and old-fashioned and contemporary all at the same time.  You wouldn't think a love story in which the main character is a rather grumpy old man living in the English countryside would be all those things but it is.  I think I will get this one for my grandma.



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society has an odd and cumbersome title so you know it must be good if it has over 1400 reviews on Amazon with such a title!  And it is.  Set right after World War II in London and the channel island of Guernsey and presented in a series of letters, I was sad it was over.  I want to know what happens next for Juliet and Kit and Isola and Dawsey! 

A small plug for your summer reading. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment