Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Garage Sale Edition Reveal #1

One of the good parts about my Saturday Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure training walks, other than finding a cure for breast cancer, was the fun garage sales I would pass, and by "pass" I meet "stop at and shop."  A few weeks ago I lived the dream: a neighborhood-wide garage sale.  Yep, it was a good day.  But my acquisitions need some love.  Here's the first.

The Bench


Yep, that's the bench.  I got it for $8.  Probably should have talked her down to $5 but I am horrible at bargaining.  Anyway...here's what happened.

Step 1 - Get rid of the nasty wicker seat by ripping it out with needle-nose pliers.

Step 2 - Sand the finish using our helpful friends' electric sander.  Need to get us one of those.  So handy!

Step 3 - Apply new stain in Bamboo Mahogany.  I used a polyurethane/stain combo that apparently people hate.  I didn't hate it but after reading reviews I understand how stain is supposed to work and mine didn't do that - but it was okay for this project.


Step 4 - Make a new jute webbing seat.

 

Step 5 - Wonder why S is taking my picture.


Step 6 - Cut piece of padding to the correct shape and cover with batting.

Step 7 - Get cheap fabric.  Cover with cheap fabric.  Hate the cheap fabric.

Step 8 - Get more expensive fabric in a completely different color.  Cover with new fabric.  Love new fabric.

Step 9 - Cover up raveling edges with a ribbon to create a pretty finish along the bottom of the new cushion.  This might be the part I am most proud of.

Now, MOVE THAT BUS!

Crying, tears, joy, excitement.

 Be impressed with my ribbon and hot glue finished edge.

The end.
The next reveal: the wine rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment