Monday, July 12, 2010

The weekend of the table

I didn't intend for this to be DIY project show-and-tell, but it's sort of ending up that way.  I warned you, I have a lot of free time on my hands right now and S is on his teacher summer break so you know we're going to get in trouble...er, refinish tables.  Same thing, right?

In any case, we are slowly but surely turning our house full of inherited hand-me-downs into a house full of "our" things.  And here is the story of the dining room table.

Once upon a time I saw a cute white table on Craig's List for $50.  Whoo-hoo!  Let's buy it!  So we went to look at it and....

It was not a white table.  It was a decrepit and yellowy and not pretty.  So we got it for $40 and took it home.  Here is what happened next.

  Ugh...ugly furniture.

It only took an hour per chair to rip out all of the old, dusty upholstery and rusty staples.

Priming...

and painting...

and more painting....and two days later:

A table!  

Don't you love the craftsman-style details on the chairs?

No cushions yet.  That's going to require some plywood, the foam I ordered online (much cheaper than at the store, in case you ever need that info), some interface or batting, and FABRIC!  I am having a blast looking at fabric.  I'm not really into sewing but I have discovered that I love upholstery!  :-)  Now we just have to figure out how vibrant we want these seats to be.  I'll share a final product picture sometime soon.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment