Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A month of teal

Happy September!  And happy Ovarian Cancer Awareness month!

In October the world will be painted pink honoring breast cancer survivors and raising awareness but September is all about teal!  I mentioned a few posts back that one of the simple and fun ways to spread awareness is to paint your toes teal.  Since most of us don't wear teal nail polish on a regular basis, someone is bound to say,

"Oh, I like your teal toes."

Even if what they mean is,

"Uh, that's kinda weird."

But when they say something you can respond with,

"Yeah, it's ovarian cancer awareness month and the awareness color is teal so I painted my toes this color to help raise awareness of this cancer that is called the 'silent killer.'  The symptoms are insidious and it's so important that women know the signs so that they can communicate with their doctor and be diagnosed early.  You can learn more at ovariancancer.org."

Spread the word!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to do this, but I'm not sure it is all that effective if you don't live in a super-warm place. No one outside my home ever sees my toenails in September! Maybe I should join the local (indoor) pool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, for the 3-Day I'm painting my fingernails teal since my toes will be covered. You can always do that! :-)

    ReplyDelete